Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore Lunchin Munchin Trout?
Could even make pink ones for the ladies.
Real men would want traditional grey though. LOL.

By the way, not to derail, hit Beaver Creek on the way back from Bear lake yesterday, caught some on elk hair caddis.
[signature]
Just go to costco and buy a bag or two of ice really cheap, put it in a cooler with a blanket over it and put the fish in it, take them home and do it the easy way.
[signature]
[quote FishingLunatic]Just go to costco and buy a bag or two of ice really cheap, put it in a cooler with a blanket over it and put the fish in it, take them home and do it the easy way.[/quote]

lot of extra weight to pack, as was earlier discussed.

But ya'll're missing the point. They want to eat them on the shoreside!

FWIW - I'm making Bass Ceviche right now. Had to try it! And I fully think you could do it shoreside while fishing. Or - you could pack the 'cooked' fish out.
There are flexible ice packs you can get - even some of the ones used for athletes - that you could chill, then line a bag, pouch, whatever. Plus the wet burlap - hey - works for gaitors!
Agreed, 2 bags of ice plus cooler on a pack frame would be about 50 lbs to lug up those hills, no thanks.

I suggested Trout on a stick, and trout with bisquits on a stick, plus a true canadian shore lunch with Bacon, Potatoes, Fish and Beans in his pan over the MSR.

Then went off on a home made creel cooler derail/rant to again attempt to bring some fish home in.
That TyeDye guy is probably out fishing today, but I expect him to chime in soon on todays suggestions.

Last year he could have still scooped up some snow to pack them home in from up there.
If he'd just fish for cats in the summer he could just throw them in the truck bed for the hour long ride home and they would probably still be alive when he got there.[Smile]
[signature]
Maybe I just don't like fish so it's not worth the hassle in keeping fish, especially hot in the summer. Also, I don't know where you are talking about fishing but how far of a "hike" are you talking about? If it's within a reasonable distance you should just leave the fish under water and once you catch a couple just hurry up and carry your fish to the cooler (whereever) you parked. That'll keep them good till you get your limit. Then you could use the stove you were talking about.
[signature]
It's not the distance, it's the terrain.
They fish places like Lake Mary, Twin Lakes and lake Catherine. Over a mile in and almost straight up from the parking. They spend all day and often come out after dark with headlamps.

They are young and built like Hobbits, thick of leg, they are.

They eat fish, whenever they can. They prefer trout.
[signature]
[quote Troll]Agreed, 2 bags of ice plus cooler on a pack frame would be about 50 lbs to lug up those hills, no thanks.

I suggested Trout on a stick, and trout with bisquits on a stick, plus a true canadian shore lunch with Bacon, Potatoes, Fish and Beans in his pan over the MSR.

Then went off on a home made creel cooler derail/rant to again attempt to bring some fish home in.
That TyeDye guy is probably out fishing today, but I expect him to chime in soon on todays suggestions.

Last year he could have still scooped up some snow to pack them home in from up there.
If he'd just fish for cats in the summer he could just throw them in the truck bed for the hour long ride home and they would probably still be alive when he got there.[Smile][/quote]

Well well well. I was a tad shocked to see 44 comments after my uinta trip today. Yes you were right I was out fishing!

So yes I did ask the question on another forum what ways I could store them to get them home. I got some great answers. BTW I loved the "home made creel" idea. That one I will save.

Then it occurred to me that why not eat them right there. Hey now I don't have to pack food and now there is more encouragement to catch something. When the afternoon lull hits you can eat instead of sit on the beach in boredom.

Hint hint camping trips are coming soon in the backcountry as well.

Now if only there was a lake that I had to hike to in the mountains that had catfish I'd be one happy camper!

P.S. - Totally jealous of the beaver creek stuff man. If it is the one I am thinking of. I recall I spent some time on that creek this spring in my "Tye Dye's Big Adventure" post.
[signature]
I asked a buddy who does a lot of shipping about some foam.
Thinks he can get me a couple of pieces to glue together, they'll be 1 1/2 inches thick, but they will insulate well.
You guys carry a backpack so they should be no problem to carry as an envelope or you can rig them up like a creel.
Total weight of the envelope should be about 3 oz.
[signature]
I have an Orvis back pack with a Hydration system in it and it is insulated with foam as you mentioned. Water stays cool in the pack, the stuff in the straw portion....not so much...LOL
[signature]

One word for you: Sushi

No pan/fire needed. Some people ONLY eat their trout this way!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Fillet the fish so there are no bones or skin. Then the only three things you need are butter, onion powder, and garlic salt. I love shore lunches!
[signature]
[quote N.E.T.O.]
One word for you: Sushi

No pan/fire needed. Some people ONLY eat their trout this way![/quote]

Do you eat raw trout? I've heard from a Sushi Master that due to some of the parasites that can infest Trout - it's not a good idea. You could at least give them a "lemon" no-cook cooking.
I think Ceviche is pretty dandy now! Need to try some of the 'bottled' fish. I guess even bony whitefish- by the time they are can-processed, the bones are no longer a worry.
Coyote Spinner said:
"Do you eat raw trout? I've heard from a Sushi Master that due to some of the parasites that can infest Trout - it's not a good idea."

Nope, not me! However there is at least one member on this board that only eats trout that way. (I won't mention his name to avoid embarrasing him!)

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Wouldn't it be [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi"]sashimi[/url], seeings how it is just fish.
[signature]
I get fancy and simple. I just gut my trout. Remove I try to leave the head on and more to the point the spinal column it tact. Clean the stomach cavity well. Apply a whole far spoon of salt directly into the cavity. Build a fire and reduce to coals. Put fish directly onto the coals stomach cavity side up. Remove the fish before the skin completely burns through to the meat. Enjoy.

The Cuts and Kokes from Strawberry have been made to sushi several times by me. A little wasabi, sticky rice, and soy sauce served chilled on a frozen reservoir is remarkable if you like sushi and fishing.
[signature]