Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked posts?
[quote RockyRaab]I've been a mod, a super mod and even a forum administrator on other boards. It isn't easy. Enforcing rules often involves arbitrary choices because few situations are black or white. The limitations of internet "speech" are mostly because text doesn't reveal emotion without vocal tone and facial expressions. What is meant as humor or honest opinion can appear to be sarcasm or insult.

I'm guilty of that very thing, by the way.[/quote]Perfectly stated.
[signature]
Ooof! I had to get in on this before it got locked [:p]. Being a moderator myself, raking in the DOH! like the other mods, we do this because of our passion for fishing and wanting to connect with other fishermen/women. I promote BFT, I promote the products I use and I promote fishing in general. I don't care if you're fishing with tackle found on the shoreline because you can't afford it or if you're looking for info for the next tournament. We are all anglers. I'm no saint, I've been involved in some locked posts in the past but it's mostly petty bs. The arguments were enticing and it's nice to change things up a bit when you know the mods were watching, heehee.
We're all anglers, we all have our own opinions. Sometimes we agree with each other, sometimes we don't. There are rules though and we all have to abide by them. The mods on the Utah board? This isn't their first day on the job. I first joined, being a prior lurker, in 2005 and there is a cycle of threads that seem to come again and again. I think the Utah mods are doing a great job because they know what to expect when a thread starts to get...heated. People type things in front of a screen because they are basically anonymous and don't have to be accountable for their actions. If you don't moderate that then all you will have left is...oh wait, those forums aren't around anymore. Be thankful for BFT and the guys and gals that support it using their own time to watch every single post. Whew! My fingers are tired, better go stir the post somewhere else so I can keep these mod's workin' for free [Wink].
[signature]
Only if you are the WORM..
[signature]
You are right, but don't tell the WORM.[sly]
[signature]
I guess I'll get my inflation adjusted 2 cents in too.

First off, I consider one of the mods a good personal friend and fishing buddy and realize how difficult and thankless the job is, especially when engaged in other tasks like their regular employment. I also think that in general they do a good job. That said, I will admit that there have been times when I have had my posts edited or deleted and have been exasperated by the decisions made. I also will admit that I have generally appreciated many of PBH's and the wormy ones posts and contributions and have enjoyed agreeing (usually), disagreeing, or even vigorously debating them. I do hope they continue to participate here once the "time out" is served. I disagree that they haven't contributed. Some just may not like how it's said sometimes.

This is the thing about BFT though. Whether you like everything about it or can't stand what is happening here at times, it is very successful! Two other Utah fishing sites have been mentioned in this thread. One, UOTF, has fallen from a very active, vibrant site to one that is hardly relevant or worth reading anymore, except during Stream access battles in the legislature. The other, UWN, is an excellent outdoors site that has an awesome hunting section, but has really slowed down as a fishing site. It may pick up in time, but for all its warts, bad grammar, arguments (and lack thereof), virtual back slapping for 8 inch perch or cookie cutter cats, and silly threads, BFT is the undisputed champ as a successful Utah fishing site. One has to say that the mods are a big part of that and thus deserve a lot of credit. If they do something that sets wrong with you, don't let it get to ya.

It's all for fun anyway, right?
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] Ooof! I had to get in on this before it got locked [:p]. Being a moderator myself, raking in the DOH! like the other mods, we do this because of our passion for fishing and wanting to connect with other fishermen/women. I promote BFT, I promote the products I use and I promote fishing in general. I don't care if you're fishing with tackle found on the shoreline because you can't afford it or if you're looking for info for the next tournament. We are all anglers. I'm no saint, I've been involved in some locked posts in the past but it's mostly petty bs. The arguments were enticing and it's nice to change things up a bit when you know the mods were watching, heehee.
We're all anglers, we all have our own opinions. Sometimes we agree with each other, sometimes we don't. There are rules though and we all have to abide by them. The mods on the Utah board? This isn't their first day on the job. I first joined, being a prior lurker, in 2005 and there is a cycle of threads that seem to come again and again. I think the Utah mods are doing a great job because they know what to expect when a thread starts to get...heated. People type things in front of a screen because they are basically anonymous and don't have to be accountable for their actions. If you don't moderate that then all you will have left is...oh wait, those forums aren't around anymore. Be thankful for BFT and the guys and gals that support it using their own time to watch every single post. Whew! My fingers are tired, better go stir the post somewhere else so I can keep these mod's workin' for free [Wink].[/quote]

But expecting and actually DOING are two different things. I say a post recently locked because a Moderator for one doesn't like the poster and has said as much which I do think clouds the decisions. I know it once did mine. The post was locked because the mod could see where it was going? Car before the horse, guilty till proven innocent....yadda, yadda
Not speaking all locked posts as there has been some that was obvious and already out of hand with several rules broken.

doggonefishin, you got to remember that UOTF does do a lot for everyone here in Utah. They are strictly fly fishing, no bait, not tubing, no hot spotting. Lets not forget the upcoming show that raises a ton of money.
Just needed to through that out there. However, I don't go often because of a few people, not the site.
As far as Fly Fishing sites go, there are several with great info, skilled people and heated discussions that don't get locked. But, they are kept on an adult level with no silly name calling.
[signature]
[quote bigearl]What is up with all the locked posts? It seems a bit excessive. I could see if it was all foul crude language and pics of naked girls but WOW I just start enjoying reading a good heated debate and BAM locked up.[/quote]
It's the Gayle Ruzika mentality.
[signature]
"It's all for fun anyway, right?"
I feel the same way but I don't think our moderator did. I made the comment about PBH's link being back up and working on the cutthroat discussion. I just assumed the moderator realized that he was being way overzealous. The clip was 100% in fun and you'd have to be extremely thin skinned to ever take it personally.
I was also thinking what's up with locking that post. Can't recall such a low threshold on locking a thread and deleting a post because of a little humor. Hopefully Heppy will return as he has had plenty of helpful information and insight in the past. Doggonefishin, if you ever want to target Lahontan Cutthroat send me a pm as the thread was locked before I could respond.
[signature]
It seems to me that 90% of the locking is with 10% of the people. I don't post a lot on here, I really do enjoy reading what's going on however. I work a lot of hours unfortunately, I would much rather be fishing and reporting how I did. The moderators seem to be doing a thankless job which I appreciate. Maybe some folks who have a serious problem with the job they are doing should volunteer their time to moderate.
[signature]
Kudos to our mods! They willingly and for free help keep this board one of the best. They all know before volunteering to take the job that they're gonna be Damned if they do and Damned if they don't but they go ahead and do it - for what? The love of the sport of fishing is the only thing I can think of. MODS just keep on keepin' on.
[signature]
With this many people on the forum you can't keep everybody happy. That simple. Let me know when you have the solution.
[signature]
That is true. But, some of the issues brought up are worth recognizing.
[signature]
Will you please more specific on the issues? Maybe we can resolve them, maybe not. Good opportunity to vent either way.
[signature]
Maybe re-read through all the posts. Not just mine.
[signature]
Sorry Fish4fun didn't mean to just reply to you.....

My use of you in this is not directed at any one person........

I have definitely been on both sides of this debate. I am a mod for a local car club and I have to agree that being a mod and friends with people can suck. On the other hand I too have almost received the ban hammer a few times back when I used to frequent this site all the time. I use alot of sarcasm and for some reason that doesn't come through the interwebz too well.

With a site this big and with the reputation it already holds you are never going to make everyone happy. You could loosen up and let things go further and you would lose the members that didn't like that. You tighten the reigns and keep the nice guys safe and keep the internet bullies at bay and then they will complain it is a never ending cycle.

I have not been very active on the site here for a couple years so I may not know the exact way things are going lately but from reading this thread its pretty easy to figure out. The way I see it.

From the guys like me that may take things a little too far from time to time.........Some people just need to loosen up and realize this is the internet and not always serious business.

To the guys like me that like to take things a little too far from time to time........Respect the guys that don't like to be messed with. Not everyone can take it like you can.

I personally can dish it out but I can also receive it.

Unless it is an unwarranted butt-chewing from a person I previously respected about a 3 year old misunderstanding.

Now lets get back to Fishin
[signature]