Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
decon a float tube or toon for muscles
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000FF]If there was a free decontamination service nearby I would be tempted to take an old Fat Cat I no longer use and subject it to the process...just for giggles.

I really have difficulty believing that the decon would destroy an inflatable. 140 degrees is far below the melting point of any of the materials...over 400 degrees for the nylon cover and just under 200 degrees for vinyl (PVC) coatings. Those are the official numbers but I suspect the PVC covers on our float tubes are a compound that is even more heat resistant.

The main potential problem I could foresee would be overinflation of a fully inflated air chamber because of the sudden great heating. The nylon covers, stitching and PVC coatings should not suffer all that much.

But let's see if we can get an official statement from any of the manufacturers.

Wondering if Dave Scadden might have a response.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

I have posted the question for Dave, but this is show time so it could take awhile for answers.

I did ask Larry Tullis and he said there shouldn't be any problem

The covering on the boats are several layers of material including Kevlar and PVC. The problem with the heat could come in the glue that holds the add ons. Seams are welded. The pressure on the other hand could shred nylon and thread.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [TubeDude] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - by flygoddess - 04-03-2013, 03:30 AM