Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing for warm water species
[quote TroutBumDave]

Not to mention, there are very few women (or men, for that matter) that are willing to fish 18 hours straight, take a light nap on the shore, and then hit it again for 18.[/quote]

Sounds like a good trip to me[:p]
[signature]
Tell me about it. Hitting Powell in less than two weeks and that is exactly how it's going to go. There's a better-than-good chance I'll skip the nap and just move into the second 18.
[signature]
Don't use a fly rod much anymore, but one of the best patterns I used when I did was a Girddle bug. Simple pattern, black, brown, or green chenile, 2X hook in sizes from 8-12. Tie on forked tail of white rubber leg material, spiral on the chenile, tying 3 pair of legs as you go. You can also weight it with lead wire. Bluegills and sunfish love em. Can also fish em behind a bubble for the spin casters. Spent my misspent youth fishing community ponds in St. Louis with a fly rod for gills and bass !! Love gills on poppers !! TD has some great patterns for white bass that you should get from him !!
Good call. I went out fishing for Carp but welcome surprises. I tied on a Gartside Gurgler. Very easy fly to tie. Cool thing, leave the foam tag a little longer, it becomes a great popper. Cut it short, it turns into a boobie fly.
https://www.google.com/search?q=boobie+f...66&bih=643
I tied it on, roll cast, and went to pick up line to cast a little farther. In the pulling, got a nice little wake and BAMB.
[Image: IMG_0418_zpsa4048538.jpg]

Scud Hook about a #10 to #14
Marabou tail, long
Crystal Chenille, color to match tail
Strip of close cell foam, color to match or accent. You can get this foam at Walmart.

[Image: Tadpole3.jpg]
[signature]
moved this thread to the FF board where it belonged, thought i did it before, but i grew up under power lines and have never been accused of thinking to deeply about anything
[signature]
I've used those in a bigger pattern with something like a size 8 hook. It works really well on the largemouth for sure. I'll have to make some smaller ones for the gills too.
[signature]
Note to self (and anyone else at work): Don't google booby flies unless your filter is on. Since I did it on accident, I had to look at it for a few minutes -- you know, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave]Note to self (and anyone else at work): Don't google booby flies unless your filter is on. Since I did it on accident, I had to look at it for a few minutes -- you know, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.[/quote] ha win!
[signature]
You got a thing for flies and foam? [Wink]
The idea on a booby fly is the complete opposite motion of a nymph or streamer. Although both fished with sinking line, when you strip a nymph or a streamer, it rises then drops on the pause. A booby dives on the strip and rises on the pause.
Okay, Dave you now have words like, strip, dive, and rises to add to your visual[cool]
[signature]
Be back in 5 min... er, 2 minutes!
[signature]
Gotcha, so is a Wiggle Minnow is a booby fly? I had no idea is was catching bass on boobies last year [Smile]
[signature]
[quote Leaky33] That's good to hear!!!~ I, for one, am encouraged to hear the fairer sex doing what I love. My wife is one of the, "no way", types so I'm not sure if i'm blessed or Sad. Actually, -------, wish she could enjoy it. [frown]

P.S. Have been in seventh heaven fly fishing the Weeb. for the last few months. Average rainbow and brown has been16+" with several at 20!!!! That's more than fun on a fly!!!! [Smile][/quote]

Leaky the "hatchery" is off limits to the general public.[Wink]

Good thing I measured a fish from your heavenly slice.....now you can say there are 20 inch fish in your hands! Still wondering who has more fun out there.....you or sparky?
[signature]
Need you ask??? I'm always second. [Smile]
P.S. did catch a 20 rainbow after our trip above the dead dear. [Smile] Bigger then your brown!!!! [laugh]
[signature]
I'm surprise how big of a U turn this thread became oh well at least everyone's happy [Wink]
[signature]