Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing for warm water species
My wife did pretty well when I took her out. The first time I took her she caught about 10 nice cutts. She thought it was pretty fun until the next time when fishing was slower. I've taken her out a handful of times, but she gets bored if about 10 minutes go by without a fish. She did have fun one other time when we got into a school of 8-10" bluegill with some perch mixed in. She was catching them on every cast just throwing out a 2" grub. I finally made her start taking the fish off the hook because I wasn't able to make any casts she was catching so many.

Later I tried to teach her little brother to fish, and it was way more like baby sitting. He had the hardest time figuring out how to take the hooks out and was always having gear malfunctions.

I only wish I could get away for 12 hours. That is truly a rarity. I used to work evenings and would try to cram in quick trips before work, but then I always smelled like fish and pond scum at work, and it seemed like I'd really dial them in right about the time I had to leave.. Now my schedule is just a little better and I might make a 6-8hr trip on a good day. Oh well, once school is done I'll be working three 12s and then I can do all sorts of fishing with four days off [Smile]
[signature]
My wife won't even hold a fish! My mom offered her $50 to hold a fish long enough for a picture and she lasted maybe a second! But she really is great, I don't get to go near as often as I used to now that our daughter is here but when I go she knows I'm taking full advantage of the whole day... 3 12s would be nice, lotsa time to hit the waters! Ps great blog, we need to get you out more so you can update it! [Wink]
[signature]
Where are u at
Yeah my wife isn't squeamish about that stuff. She doesn't mind holding fish. She'll catch snakes and frogs and such. I just can't keep her attention long enough to stick with fishing.

I'm glad you like the blog. Thanks for the kind words [Smile] I have been out more than the blog implies, I just haven't gotten around to updating it. I actually have a whole back country canoeing in Minnesota to write about, and a couple of epic 100+ days last fall. Maybe I'll do a year in review post and wrap up last year. I only have a few trips that aren't super exciting this year, so that would pretty well get me caught up.
[signature]
Or even longer[:p]
[signature]
I was probably still under my little sleeping bass rock because I haven't got any sleep lately and taking the advantage of it for once because its a weekend.

[cool]
[signature]
You guys realize you are generalizing. I get out way more than my Husband but when we do go together, he goes one way, I go the other.
There are several women here that solo, and can't figure out why the Husband can't get into it.
[signature]
That's good to hear!!!~ I, for one, am encouraged to hear the fairer sex doing what I love. My wife is one of the, "no way", types so I'm not sure if i'm blessed or Sad. Actually, -------, wish she could enjoy it. [frown]

P.S. Have been in seventh heaven fly fishing the Weeb. for the last few months. Average rainbow and brown has been16+" with several at 20!!!! That's more than fun on a fly!!!! [Smile]
[signature]
Fishin_gal flies solo also, and we do the same thing, you have seen it... just like you guys, i go one way she goes the other.
[signature]
Your a lucky man who got the big dough too be able to fish that private property but I shall just wait for strawberry water to open up or maybe one day adventure off in the Weber river this year.
[signature]
I'm just speaking for myself and my wife... I'm sure she hates that I won't go to the fabric store with her! Good to hear about the weeb, were heading up tommorrow and am hoping for a great day on the water!
[signature]
I have only fished that place a couple of times and only caught a bow and a bass the end so far.
[signature]
I hope my wife realizes how good she has it. I go to the fabric store and the craft store with her. I'll have to remind her of that the next time she gives me crap about going fishing [Smile]
[signature]
Ha the trick is just whine and complain the whole time and eventually she won't want you to go! Works like a charm... [Wink]
[signature]
True, true. But then again, she doesn't make me watch romantic comedies and she hates things like Twilight as much as I do. I'll give her the fabric store if it means getting out of the other stuff. Besides, the fabric store she likes is across the street from one of the best sandwich shops around, and it's in Idaho. The trip always ends with tasty subs and a six pack of some tasty micro brew [Smile]
[signature]
I love going to the craft store with my wife. Almost always come back with some new material to try tying with... http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/03/craft...recon.html
[signature]
Good point. When Roberts went out of business in Salt Lake, we went there and I cleaned up on the prisma color markers and paint pens. I use them to color poppers and wiggle minnows. I think I'll have enough now to last a lifetime.
[signature]
It always helps to have a plus side! Good thinking on tying materials from the craft store... Probably cheaper there too
[signature]
Wow - had to look in, and such a twist from to original post. Fabric and Fish-n-wives.... wow.

My 'ol lady loves sitting in the sun reading a book.
Never could swing it - fire up the grill at the launch, do some dogs - we'll float, come together for lunch. Family outing! The dog would SO love to find where all those "smells" come from! She glues to my legs when I come home from an outing.

Love the partnership of hooking up with other angers for a venture, but fullly dig the independence of going where ever - whatever. Always glad to hookup with other anglers, but have the mindset to not let it KEEP me from a fishing outing. Envy the likes of UTCatman and the Mrs - getting out and into it - so envy to together time.
And it never ends to floor me how much more Ben has discovered in hit time in CV than I have in my 20 years here. Lots of places to discover. Yesterday's venture - right in there!!!

Saw a boat-load ready to launch at dusk. SHE was already fishing while the mates loaded up. Heaters at sunset - dig it!

Early spring, Late fall - maybe I should bring the buddy!
I guess it does really boil down to me being selfish. When I go out, I want to go where I want to go, stay as long as I want to, etc. I love Mrs. Trout all the way, but she's just as stubborn as I am when it comes to doing things she wants. We learned fairly early that it was best that I just go alone. Now, that being said, we do take several "family" trips a year. I've been blessed (cursed) with three daughters, so my vision of fishing with my boys will probably never come to fruition. I try to get them into fishing, but it's hard to compete with all of the g'damn PINK that is out there. Oh well. My five year old keeps telling me that she'll enjoy it more when she can get her own pontoon boat. [Wink]

Not to mention, there are very few women (or men, for that matter) that are willing to fish 18 hours straight, take a light nap on the shore, and then hit it again for 18.
[signature]