Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shameless plug
I do a little of all including the alcohol burner and MREs. Also do the solar just as Cpeirce describes. A thermos is very good at keeping soup piping hot for hours. You should see tho looks I get cross country skiing when I pour a bowl of steaming hot soup. Kills them to see I have enough for my dogs to have bit.
I prefer propane or butane stoves and have both. However the alcohol stove gets use as well. One you can build your own out of a can or buy one very inexpensively. The main reason I use it is on trips where other fuels aren't widely available. I do an Everglades kayak camping and fishing trip most winters. You can't fly with flammables. Only a handful of places carry butane in all of south Florida (Bass Pro Shops plus a couple camping stores) and it isn't always convenient to get to them while they're open. You can buy the yellow bottle brand HEET gas addictive in most gas stations plus plenty of other places. It works well for fuel in the alcohol stoves.
[signature]
I have one of those bullet-proof Swedish Messkits with the famous Trangia alcohol stove. Boils two cups of water in five minutes. The yellow-bottle HEET is great, but so are most "dollar store" bottles of fuel additive. They all have "Contains Methyl Alcohol" in the warnings, and that's the high-BTU stuff you want. Eight ounces for a buck is cheap, cheap, cheap. Enough for almost an hour of burn time.
[signature]
Mine is the Mini Trangia. Certainly impossible to break. I built a couple out of a can http://www.shtfblog.com/diy-how-to-build...hol-stove/ But after doing that twice I got the Trangia.
[signature]
I like the Super Cat Stove. [url "http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/"]http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/[/url]

It is light, sturdy, simple to make, and boils water like a champ.

[Image: Lighted2_3427-600.jpg]
[signature]
AlbinoTrout, sorry for getting sidetracked.

I really am curious to know how long it takes to heat things in the mini.

A lot of times I come in tired from fishing and hiking in the afternoons, and it would be nice to be able to have something hot already waiting. I am getting lazier all the time!

The solar works great in the summer, but these fall days are getting cool fast.
[signature]
It takes about 45 to 90 minutes depending upon the food. That's hints great to plug it in do what you want then come back and eat.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]It takes about 45 to 90 minutes depending upon the food. That's hints great to plug it in do what you want then come back and eat.[/quote]

Like a toaster oven[Wink]
[signature]
I see this more for WORK than out door use. We see the insulated bag and got side tracked for sure.

But I am now seeing My husband or myself could put our lunch or break in this and continue to work and it would be ready for break. Maybe the bag design would keep the aroma contained too so as not to drive everyone crazy.[Smile]
[signature]