Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT 2014 Utah Fly Fishing Comp?
Sounds like a fun contest. I have a couple fly boxes I could put in as well.
[signature]
[quote kochanut]I still have the Simms head water chest pack from last year, tags and all[/quote]

Son of a...

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of the new rules. As DEFNDING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, I want to give my two cents... My favorite thing abou last year was knowing that I had to break out of the box and target new species. Wiper, Channel Cat, and Pike were all new firsts for me last year on the fly, and it was waaaaaay more fun getting out and learning a new style, technique, and species than just hammering strawberry in search of that ot buster. Secondly, those of us in southern Utah have very little access to big trout lakes; don't automatically give us a major diSadvantage (although, you all probably need it!)

In short, I'm a dick and I have spoken. I hope someone offers me even a little bit of a challenge this year!

TBD
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave][quote kochanut]I still have the Simms head water chest pack from last year, tags and all[/quote]

Son of a...

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of the new rules. As DEFNDING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, I want to give my two cents... My favorite thing abou last year was knowing that I had to break out of the box and target new species. Wiper, Channel Cat, and Pike were all new firsts for me last year on the fly, and it was waaaaaay more fun getting out and learning a new style, technique, and species than just hammering strawberry in search of that ot buster. Secondly, those of us in southern Utah have very little access to big trout lakes; don't automatically give us a major diSadvantage (although, you all probably need it!)

In short, I'm a dick and I have spoken. I hope someone offers me even a little bit of a challenge this year!

TBD[/quote]

First of all very funny stuff there TBD.

Anyway did you wanna play? As defending champ your entry fee would be waived this year!

And don't B.S. me on the lack of big trout in Southern Utah! Ever hear of the BOULDERS LAKES!!!! Go ahead and look 'em up![Wink]
[signature]
Of course I want in, are you nuts? As far as my post above goes, I had a really long day of potty training my little one yesterday (only had to clean up FIVE pooh-filled Dora panties), so I chewed up an Ambian before I went to bed so I could just forget the horror of it all. Unfortunately, I don't remember making that post at all... Scary! Anyhow, I strongly suggest we get another opinion about the number of fish, as well as species. We're all good enough fly fisherfolks to go out and catch trout and panfish, right? Force people to go out of their comfort zone a little bit -- it will only help hone their skills. Just my 15 cents.

Fwiw, anyone who wants to come down to St. George to check bass or some big panfish off their list, I'm beyond happy to take you along to my favorite haunts. I know not everyone has the time or schedule to fish like I do, so of course, my suggestions obviously come with a 40lb bag of salt.

Please reconsider the species and number though. /beg.

Love Always,

TBD

p.s. I sure hope FFL is planning on playing again this year; I really enjoyed looking at his pictures.
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave]Of course I want in, are you nuts? As far as my post above goes, I had a really long day of potty training my little one yesterday (only had to clean up FIVE pooh-filled Dora panties), so I chewed up an Ambian before I went to bed so I could just forget the horror of it all. Unfortunately, I don't remember making that post at all... Scary! Anyhow, I strongly suggest we get another opinion about the number of fish, as well as species. We're all good enough fly fisherfolks to go out and catch trout and panfish, right? Force people to go out of their comfort zone a little bit -- it will only help hone their skills. Just my 15 cents.
Fwiw, anyone who wants to come down to St. George to check bass or some big panfish off their list, I'm beyond happy to take you along to my favorite haunts. I know not everyone has the time or schedule to fish like I do, so of course, my suggestions obviously come with a 40lb bag of salt.
Please reconsider the species and number though. /beg.
Love Always,
TBD
p.s. I sure hope FFL is planning on playing again this year; I really enjoyed looking at his pictures.[/quote]

Great I will add your name to the list. You sure will be the wild card living in "Utah's land of the down under". Something tells me though that you will go far and wide to get the biguns. Game on!

As far as the number of fish, I don't think 8 fish was a good idea. Last year only you and FlyFishingLover even turned in 8 fish. I turned in 7, and most didn't even turn in more than 5 fish.

Every speices except catfish can be turned in. So you can still go beyond the trout and panfish stuff.

I am a bit surprised that FFL hasn't signed up for the fly contest.

With the total amount of prizes, the different speices prize categories, and even a 2nd place winner prize I think this is gonna be fun year!
[signature]
I'm entering in lol. I just forgot to come to your house and drop off a fly yesterday on my way back home.
[signature]
Where do you want us to put our entries?
[signature]
I'm in! And will actually do it this time.[Wink] I can tie a box of flies for the prize..
[signature]
[quote bornfishin]Where do you want us to put our entries?[/quote]

Go to the utah section of BFT and you will see the contest forum under the off topic forum. Go to the contest foru. (here is a link)
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=100"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=100[/url]
and create a post entitled....

"2014 Utah Fly Contest bornfishin"

I will judge the fish as soon as I get your entry fee.
[signature]
[quote Catcherman.]I'm in! And will actually do it this time.[Wink] I can tie a box of flies for the prize..[/quote]

Great just get me the details of exactly how many flies you want to donate.

I will add them to boxes that others have decided to donate.
[signature]
Wow, I am impressed! Thanks guys here is the list of prizes
Contest Prizes:

1st place winner

* The pool of flies collected from the entry fee.

* A Loon Chest Pack

* 2 fly rod tubes (a 2 piece and 4 piece)

* 2 waterproof fly boxes with a few flies in them.

* 1 fly box with 4 hand tied favorite flies included.

2nd palce winner

* Head water chest pack

For the largest trout

* Small fly box from allen fly fishing with a few flies included.

For the largest Splake

* 1 large fly box

For the largest panfish

* 1 small fly box

[signature]