Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard, no water just tickets
[#484848]The state must use a guesstimate chart similar to this attachment to issue citations:[/#484848]
[signature]
Does anyone know where I can get my trailer weighed in the Provo or American Fork area?
[signature]
Yes they are on a money grabbing rampage at Willard. A month ago I was warned about the color and spacing if my boat numbers and registration stickers which in all the times and waters I've had my14 ft boat, with law enforcement by many times and not once ever mentioned my black numbers we're not contrasting enough or spaced enough. He said next time I would be ticketed if not fixed. I guess it was good I just got a warning but that was VERY petty IMO.
[signature]
Aren't we innocent until proven guilty? If they are suspicious, I can see them having you get it weighed (like the DOT men do with trucks), but they certainly can't issue you a ticket off of a guesstimate! I've never heard of a big rig getting pulled over and issued a ticket because some arrogant DOT man thinks it's overweight. That wouldn't stand up in court.
[signature]
I bought a new Tracker Boat ( Pro-Guide 175), motor and trailer in 2008. All three were issued seperate titles, however, when I picked up the boat from the dealer I was informed that no license plate is required because my trailer was single axle and weighed under 750 lbs. I asked the dealer why the trailer had a license plate mounting bracket and he said most states require a plate, but not Utah.

I have taken my boat out of state several times and have never been stopped or even questioned on why I don't have a license plate on the trailer.

I wouldn't assume the law enforcement officer is right just because he thinks your trailer should have a plate. I would do some research on the trailer weight and even have it weighed if necessary before licensing just because they hassle you.

Just my opinion!
[signature]
[#484848]Is there a Flying J truck stop/service station by American Fork?[/#484848]
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#484848]

Is there a Flying J truck stop/service station by American Fork?[/#484848]

[/quote]

There is one in Springville (close to I-15) that would work in a pinch.
[signature]
Sirfillet-- I could post the same info you did -- change the Tracker to a 17 ft DVR and the year to '01 and all is the same.
I was stopped one time a couple of years ago on I-15 by a UHP. He stopped me because I had a plate holder on my trailer but no plate. I told him the trailer had never had a plate as the seller (new) had told me it was not required. He got on his radio with DMV and then cleared me and sent me on my way... have never had an issue since.

BLK
[signature]
It might be a good idea to pull the license plate bracket off my trailer. Thanks for the reply.
[signature]
That's what I did in 2004 when I bought a brand new 2004 Lund 1700 Pro Sport. The trailer was built by Metal Craft and it had very nice diamond plate step ups on the wheel fenders, powder coated light gray frame, and diamond plate step on the tow Tongue between the bow stand and
the landing gear.
But it had a ugly cheep looking plastic plate holder on the left rear frame cross member. I asked the dealer and was told that was for states that required trailers to be registered, that mine was single axle and less that 750 lbs. So I took that holder off. Never had an issue anywhere I towed that boat. Utah or Wyoming.
I sold that boat in 2006 (mistake) and I've seen a few times since. It still doesn't have a plate holder on it [sly]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Troll made a very smart comment / idea. I just did exactly that. Copied what was on the Yacht Club to a document on my PC, and added some identifying info. Printed out a copy I will keep in my truck.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
So excuse my ignorance, but when did the law change regarding trailers ?? I have never had a plate on my single axle trailer and have never had anyone ask me about it !!
It hasn't changed at all. I emailed the DMV and got a response back stating single axle boat trailers do not need to be registered.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]

It hasn't changed at all. I emailed the DMV and got a response back stating single axle boat trailers do not need to be registered.

[/quote]

Sure hope that you asked them to let the folks at Willard Bay know.
[signature]
Very nice, wish I had a spec sheet like that, but - um - no.

I did have a suggestion from a DNR mussel checker once. I got the boat from a guy who's grandad was in Nevada - where he had the boat decades before. It still had the long expired Nevada plate.
HE suggested I take it off, since Nevada has been a source of mussel problems.

And yeah - really - who is filing complaints or making reports to the WB office or above to nip this problem in the bud?
So, do we just have a over zealous, new ranger at WB, or is something else going on ??
I think the biggest issue here is the weight of the trailer, not how many axles it has. It seems very likely that smaller boat trailers, up to say 16 ft, fall under the 750 lb threshold. It seems to me that on bigger boat trailers, say 18 ft or larger they could be over that 750 lb limit, they have to be heavier to carry the bigger boats. I think the single axle trailer, train of though, was just a general observation, that someone came up with years ago and was just a general rule and not what the law says is ok. Now they are telling the parks folks to start issuing ticket to see where to draw the line[:/]. Who knows for sure but time will tell the outcome of this issue.
[signature]
I still think it would be easiest just to put a plate on the trailer. When your on the road the cop is always right, you have to go to court to prove otherwise and that's a big pain in the arse. Don't know what y'all do for a living, but half a day at the courthouse costs me a bunch.
[signature]
It may be easier, however, the law for now is that if your boat trailer weighs less than 750 lbs. it does not require a license plate. I'm pretty sure the DMV would be happy if we all just volunteer to license our trailers and give them some extra money. I refuse to do that just because we have some people that are anxious to write tickets.

I will e-mail the manager at Willard bay and see if he knows what is going on. I will also send an e-mail to the DNR office in SLC and see if they need to send a notice to the Park Rangers or provide some sort of training to bring them up to speed on the current DMV law for boat trailers.

I would encourage other members to do the same if they want to put a stop to the ticket writing.
[signature]
I, for one, filed a complaint with the Willard Bay Park Manager via e-mail this morning and posted a complaint on the DNR website comments section. There is also a phone number 801-538-7220 for the DNR office in SLC if anyone is interested in doing their part to nip this problem in the bud.

Willard Bay has enough challenges to deal with such as low water and hazards. We shouldn't have to deal with needless tickets when we get off the water.
[signature]