Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More motor issues.
I just bought a 72 Johnson Seahorse 9.5 HP motor. I had an issue last week with an air leak in the fuel line. I got that fixed and was able to fire up the motor in my drum in the back yard.

Well, I get to Utah Lake today with my son to do a little fishing. I get the boat in the water, and it fires up on the first pull. Cool. I start off and it dies. I was able to start it right back up, and it died again, Got it started the third time and it stayed running. Got out past the no wake buoys at American Fork harbor and opened it up. I only got 4 miles per hour. Now unless I am mistaken, i think I should be moving faster than that with a 9.5 HP motor.

Fast forward a little bit, I was able to move around a little and had no problems starting the motor up except it seemed like I had to take the top off to start it. I got to where I was going, shut off the motor, and after that it would not fire back up at all. I had pressure to my primer bulb. Im sure the engine was getting fuel. This motor was sitting for 5 years from what I was told. Does anyone have any idea on this? Thanks!
[signature]
contact Geezer, he is a magician when it comes to old motors. He has helped me out considerably. Also something to think about is if it has been sitting that long, did you change out the impeller? Might not be getting any water to cool it down. Also sounds like a carb issue.
[signature]
I agree with Kevin, contact Geezer he can help you figure it out. Do you see the motor peeing out the back? If not, it could be over heating but it sounds like a carb issue, you might need to have the carb overhauled.
Here is a link to Tom's profile: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/com...ame=GEEZER
[signature]
The first thing i checked was to make sure it is spitting water. It spits water good. I am thinking its also a carb issue too. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it was gone through by a mechanic. I can contact him but I dont want to be one of those pushy guys that bothers people. As long as he doesnt mind.
[signature]
If the guy you bought it from had it overhauled, it is possible that it never ran right after he got it back together. Did he sell it to you pretty cheap?
I had one overhauled by a guy that changed an impeller for me but he did a poor job on my carb. He wanted more money just to figure out what he did wrong, so I tried to fix it myself, after a year of that, I contacted Geezer and he found out that the guy that overhauled the carb had adjusted the floats wrong in one of carbs. He fixed it in a couple of hours.
It could also be a worn or damaged diaphragm on the fuel pump. Just follow your fuel line inside the engine cover, it should go to the fuel pump. Some of the fuel pump covers have one screw, most have four. Just carefully pull off the cover and look to see if there is a pin hole or other damage to the diaphragm.
[signature]
That is very possible. Over hauled then not ran. I will check out the diaphragm tomorrow. I am thinking the carb will need rebuilt. After sitting that long, the seals are probably shot. I got the motor for 200. Didnt seem like too bad of a deal to me. A buddy at works dad sold it to me.
[signature]
For that big of a motor, that is a good price. I have paid $400 for a 1974, 6 hp Johnson, so I'm sure you got it cheaper than you would have, if it was running right. If you want to get some more info about the motor, I doubt the guy you bought it from would be bothered if you called him up just to ask about the motor once. You could ask if he tried to overhaul the carb or if he took it to someone. If he had a dealer do the work, it could be some other problem. Did you put fresh gas in it and drain and clean out any old gas in the tank when you bought the motor?
[signature]
Im a little late on the reply. Everything was flushed out before I ran in. I put a new fuel pump on it last week and it starts up on te first pull now. I also had a stripped spark plug thread. That got fixed with a helicoil. Now it seems I can get the motor movie a lot faster. I have noticed with the lid on, it won't go as fast. When I take it off it revs right up. I have seen what te problem is when that happens. I just can't remember where I saw it! I do know it has something to do with a seal.
[signature]
Good to hear it is running better. As far as the lid being on and it not running right, that could be something to do with the throttle not being adjusted correctly and the rod rubbing on the lid. It could also be the timing advance, not being able to advance correctly with the lid on. Have you tried contacting Geezer?
[signature]
I have not contacted him yet. Sounds like I will need to. I haven't seen any spot where it looks like its rubbing. I will look a little better when im of work.
[signature]
Sounds like an air flow problem. With the cover on, you restrict the air flow, take the cover off, plenty of air. Check the intakes to see if they are blocked some how !!
That's what I was thinking. I ordered a new exhaust seal. I read these go bad frequently.ill give that a shot and see if it works.
[signature]
I use to have a 74' Johnson 9.9 that was given to me with a Jon boat from my dad. That last time we used it, it ran like a top. After sitting idle for a long time in the garage corner, I got it running using a barrel of water in driveway. It didn't run that great, sometimes it would purr and the majority of the time it was sputtering. It turned out carburation was fine but the fuel pump was struggling to keep fuel loaded. Replaced the pump and it was like a new motor again.
[signature]
That is the first thing I changed. It runs great now. But only with the cover off. I have noticed exhaust coming up from the inside and I think that is what is choking the air supply. I think there is a seal in there to prevent it from doing that. I'm not sure what its called or what it looks like. I have heard or referred to as the exhaust donut.
[signature]
Another thing it could be is a clogged exhaust, when motors sit for a while, wasp can get into any hole and if the hole is big enough they can build a nest. If you can find the exhaust port, try blowing compressed air it it from the bottom and see what happens, if not, about the only thing you can do is take the foot section apart to get to it.
[signature]