Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Browns
Thanks for responding Drew. That does make sense about the lost money on the catch because Browns are harder to catch. I would think though if a small amount were planted each year and grew to larger size maybe 10 pounds that the state would make more money because fisherman instate and out of state would be targeting them at the off times of the year. Just my thought.
[signature]
There are a few trophy brown trout stillwaters in the state. They just aren't managed for it or advertised by those who fish them. Its still a very hard sale as the time required to get them and the conditions fished in are prohibitive for all but the most dedicated. Lake trout get larger and although they are not easy by any means, it's easier to catch a trophy lake trout (20+ lb) than a trophy brown trout (10 lb). Add to that the maturity of the lake trout fishery in terms of notoriety and number of guides at the gorge and it's a huge uphill battle. Tarponjim can probably give you a good idea about the paying customer and their expectations. Are they willing to fish super late or early in often very cold conditions?

I would love to see a truly trophy brown trout fishery somewhere in the state, I just don't believe there is a big customer base for it unfortunately. FWIW, I use to be a pretty avid trophy brown hunter - and then kids got in the way. I've caught a grand total of 3 browns over the 30"/10+ lb. mark and all 3 were from rivers (non-spawning resident fish, not migratory spawners and not in the fall).
[signature]
You are right, but you know what? People are afraid of fishing in the dark.

Seriously. I can think of a few other species that bite really good at night too. I think a small % of fisherman night fish and if they do it is for walleye or catfish.

I have no clue why night fishing for browns (both trophy's and smaller respectable fish) is not more popular!

You'd think w/ the amount of browns in Utah someone on here would be posting pictures of their success at night for browns. I know some guys do it but man, they sure keep quiet!!!

I'm really not sure why more anglers do not fish at night. Even when it is pretty well known to be an awesome way/time to catch both #'s of fish and big fish.
[signature]
Go gettum!

[url "http://redrockadventure.com/fishing/green_river/green_river_rapalas.htm"]http://redrockadventure.com/...en_river_rapalas.htm[/url]

One thing I will say... fishing at night does take some getting used to. After years of night fishing I still learn something new about it almost every trip, or at least refine my tactics further.

But when you are night fishing for big, nocturnal trophy fish... the hardest thing to get used to... isn't plodding around at night... it is committing to really big lures. I can convince a lot of my friends to night fish with me, but most of them won't use a big lure for more than 5-10 mins until they see me catch a big one.[:p] (or for that matter, see how small of a fish will hit a big lure... that changes their perspective big time too haha!!!)
[signature]
I imagine, no wait, I know, that the reason we don't hear of more big browns taken from anywhere is that those who do target them and do so successfully don't tell anyone about it. If they did, the killers would get 'em.

As for night fishing, its not that most are afraid, its that most want to see what they're doing and see the fish. For me, fishing is a visual experience, and night fishing takes away from that. Lights help, but not like daytime fishing. I used to fish a lot at night on the Gorge back in the day, but all I wanted was to reel in a big fish at any cost, dark or not, frozen or not, trolling or not. I used to night fish for tarpon regularly in the winter, and it was highly effective, but I sure enjoyed catching them in the daytime much better when I could see the fish, cast to them, see the take, see the jumps, and enjoy the whole experience of "the catch." The goal wasn't just to get a big fish to the boat.

Unless that's the main goal, night fishing isn't appealing to most, but not due to any fears. Those that are doing it aren't telling, and good for them. Not much to fear if you have the place to yourself.
[signature]
Thanks for the good reading. That would have been exciting catching that brown. I guess I am just wishful thinking about the Gorge. I love that place and I always dream of the giant browns returning there. I do have some places I am investigating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.[fishon]
[signature]
Yes I know that I was mostly teasing about the being afraid of night fishing.

I understand your viewpoint about day vs. night fishing... I like any kind of fishing, but like you mentioned - if the sole goal of yours is to catch a big one, night time is superior for some species.

I would argue though that catching a really big fish at night, and not being able to see exactly where it is, where it is going, how big it is... etc. really makes for a different experience... It is a lot more about feeling than seeing. I like it... everything is so quiet at night nothing breaks that stillness like a big fish slamming your lure...

And as you mentioned: If you are someone who wants to avoid the crowds, or avoid people entirely as is the case the vast majority of the time, try night fishing. You'll have the place entirely to yourself..
[signature]
300win,

Like it's been stated, brown trout were highly productive in the Gorge when Utah chub were abundant. Utah chub thrived under the initial conditions of the reservoir, when there was abundant flooded vegetation. As the reservoir aged, and shoreline vegetation degraded, the chub numbers declined. There was also some overlap with lake trout numbers increasing, as they would also utilize Utah chub. As chub numbers declined, lake trout adapted to open water forage, like kokanee salmon and rainbow trout. Brown trout did not.

Today the chub have all but disappeared, with exception to the uppermost portions of the reservoir. We still see pulses of chubs in nets, stomachs, etc, and it's typically on years (like this one) when we have good hydrology and the reservoir elevation has a dramatic increase, flooding new vegetation. Much to our surprise, we actually netted an adult Utah chub above Buckboard a couple of weeks ago. They're just so uncommon now....

In regards to stocking brown trout, it is a possibility, but I still think they would be a rare return on the Utah side of the reservoir. I honestly don't get many anglers asking for them on this side of the reservoir either. While surveying anglers in WY, I do hear that request frequently. Brown trout would have to be stocked bigger (8-inch) and at higher densities to get any type of measurable returns on the UT side. With hatchery cuts, both state and federal, it would likely mean taking cuts elsewhere for the Gorge, like rainbows or kokanee.

I would like to try tiger trout again someday as a potential burbot control tool, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be at this time. We tried stocking some "excess" tigers in 2008 and saw zero return on those fish. About 60K were planted in July, but they were only 3.5-4.5 inches. I imagine they made for some fine forage with how active smallmouth bass and lake trout are during that time period. Once again, they were excess fish in the hatchery system so we took the opportunity. Due to the size and timing of the stocking, it was likely an unfair test and it would be interesting to try them out again. The nice thing about tigers too, is they are sterile, so if they ended up being a predator or competitor for other species we manage for, we could stock fewer or stop stocking them all together to minimize impacts to the fishery.

Hope that helps some? Ryno
[signature]
TT600,

The status of Jones Holes Hatchery has been back and forth for the last couple of years. I don't think there is a threat of closure anymore, but most of the discussion has been regarding what species the US Fish and Wildlife Service is willing to raise under their mitigation responsibility. We actually have a coordination meeting (USFWS, UDWR, WGFD) on Thursday of this upcoming week and I hope to learn more and of course, I hope it's good news. Jones Hole has historically raised about 400K catchable rainbow trout and 350K fingerling kokanee salmon for the Gorge, and those are obviously big quotas to fill. I'll hopefully have a more thorough response by next week, so don't hesitate to contact me if you want further information.

Thanks, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks Ryno for responding. I guess I am the odd ball that dreams of giant browns on the Utah side. You are right though most fisherman want to catch numbers and the fish species that are currently in the gorge. Hopefully there are still some giant swiming there waiting to get caught.[fishon]
[signature]
I'm sure there are. It's that elusive chase, and some are successful. There's just not many of them, so you have to be prepared for zeros. A buddy of mine saw a 10+ lb brown last fall-winter in Jarvies. He was blown away when he saw it and of course it quickly took off to deeper water. They are around, just not hordes of them as seen historically. You're not an odd ball, and I'm happy to help when or if I can.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
after last years spawn don't worry there are still huge browns there saw 2 in the southwest corner of the ramp 20 to 25 pounds getting a rub by the small males
[signature]