Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish Utah had browns this big?
When I was at Causey last summer the planters were stacked like cordword where the colder inlet water came in. A brown could sit there and eat until bursting.
[signature]
I don't think they stock browns in Scofield but they are in there according to this web site: http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahlakes/scofield.php
When did someone caught a 20lb tiger in Scofield or was it caught with a gill net?
[signature]
Pretty sure if memory serves me right someone caught a 19lb tiger and a 17lb tiger there last year.

And yes, I believe a 20-22lb Tiger was netted there as well. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but seem to remember a pic of one floating around.

There are some big ones in there for sure
[signature]
Never fear! There is a reservoir in northern Utah that is growing very big brows. Jordanelle reservoir. I know of a few who target those fish and have caught fish close to 30lbs! Of course they have there secrets, and I'm sworn to silence on their methods. I just wish they would take me with them!! :-(
CaptainBlood..
[signature]
Fish at night with big rapalas next to shore. Use a 300' length of 6 lb test line to troll with. It's not that big of a secret. Thats what works at Tahoe. But the catch rate is pretty low.
[signature]
I have fished Porcupine since it was built in the early '60's. There isn't much in the way of bait fish in there other than Kokanee and other trout, not much to feed the browns on. However there's some huge browns in that lake. The biggest one I personally have caught was just over 15lbs. I caught it many years ago on a worm. I saw one near the spill way once while trolling that was over three feet long. It looked like a log as we approached it. It saw us and headed for the bottom. Several times I have been fishing within a few days of when they have planted fingerling rainbows and it was amazing watching the huge browns chasing after them. My dad and I found a 25'' brown dead along the shore with a 12" rainbow stuck in its throat. I'm sure there are browns in there over 20lbs., 30lbs maybe. It would be fun to know what the biggest fish in there is. Good luck to those who would like to go after them.
[signature]
[inline 11070802_1087420884617933_6701167619149270257_n.jpg]there are still big browns around got two like this the same day a couple years ago
[signature]
Dang that's a big brown.
[signature]
I know of two browns that was caught in Jordanelle a few years back that went just over 23lb..one was shown on TV by the DWR..
[signature]
Congrats that is a hog of a brown.
[signature]
I got to fish the White last year and it is pretty amazing. From what I was told, the reservoirs have large numbers of threadfin shad that will die in the winter when it gets too cold and get flushed into the river where the trout gorge themselves. That photo of the 38 pounder looks like a gorged winter fish. Browns I catch in winter are as skinny as they will be all year. I can't image how else a river fish gets that big and I've seen lots of photos of monster browns caught there.

The White itself also has good bug life and lots of smaller rainbows to feed those monster browns.

I don't think threadfin shad can survive in any of our lakes outside Powell and the rest of Southern Utah but it could be crazy fun if Deer Creek had them and they flushed in the Provo. Or Mysis shrimp - they would ruin Deer Creek for fishing but the Lower Provo would have monster trout like the Blue River in CO. I'll leave it to the biologists to decide.
[signature]