Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish Utah had browns this big?
I'm pretty sure all fish spawn, until they die[Wink], not sure how well those young fish do that come from older fish. Older humans have issues with their offspring having a higher percent of their kids having problem, not sure if it works that way with fish[:/].
[signature]
flaming gorge it held the world record for many years go fish it in November
[signature]
Damn---[shocked]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

[url "http://www.grindtv.com/...normous-brown-trout/[/quote"]http://www.grindtv.com/...normous-brown-trout/[/quote[/url]] that is a monster, was that out of the great lakes?
[signature]
Doesn't look like the link is working, lets try it again.
https://lockerdome.com/6741613636632385/...6273504532
[signature]
We do (flaming gorge)
[signature]
Not so, there are no browns in the Gorge that weigh 38 pounds. The state record was 33 lbs and caught in the 70's, there has not been any browns caught at the Gorge, even close to that weight since. Unless you have have caught one that big?
[signature]
I've had you straighten my hook flat! And you can't really say there not in there the lake has enough food to support a brown of that size! Never say never
[signature]
Never.
[signature]
I was told there wasn't 2 lbs crappie swimming in a pond by my house! But I had a hunch there was and one night I pulled out this 2 lbs 6 oz slab out! I'm just saying there could be Browns of that size swimming around down there!
[signature]
Nothing wrong with having an opinion but the only thing that counts is proof, just like your crappie. Nice fish by the way.
[signature]
If you've had a hook flattened out, you need to experiment with your drag settings.
[signature]
[quote catchnfish]The state record is 33 lb 10 oz and came from the gorge. It wouldn't surprise me to have a 38+ lb cruising around.[/quote]

Conditions in the 70s were a lot different than they are now. The days of the huge Gorge brown trout are probably over. Ask the biologists who work this lake, the number of browns just is not what it used to be they are pretty rare these days.
That doesn't mean that one couldn't get huge in there, but chances are slim in my opinion that you'll see a 30lb brown out of the Gorge anytime soon.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Not so, there are no browns in the Gorge that weigh 38 pounds. The state record was 33 lbs and caught in the 70's, there has not been any browns caught at the Gorge, even close to that weight since. Unless you have have caught one that big?[/quote]

Well ... there could be one that big in there. I doubt there is though.
[signature]
[quote 300win]I wish utah would regularly stock browns. I know there are fisherman that catch 10 pounders and up every year but unfortunately I don't think utah will ever manage waters for browns like that. [fishon][/quote]

To be honest, I don't think the places that produce 30lb browns are managed that way. The ecosystem is just better suited to pump out huge browns.
[signature]
The good ole White. I lived less than a 100 miles from there during High School (Yes, I was briefly a hillbilly[Wink]) Those Northern Arkansas tailwaters are overrun with 2-5 lb SM and LM bass with their abundant oxygen and long growing season. All those monster trout have to have something easy to constantly snack on to reach that size.
While those pesky bass made most trout fishermen cuss I didn't mind as they actually fight well in moving water.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Totally agree about the unlikelihood of huge browns still residing in the Gorge. I was around in the late 70's...during the days (and nights) of Ray Johnson and all the big browns. Conditions were definitely different.

Browns need lots of food to attain large proportions. In the 70's Flaming Gorge was wall to wall chubs. The water inside protected areas was brown with them during their spring spawn. And they were visible all around the shoreline the rest of the year. Heavy predation by smallmouths and macks whittled down the chub population...not to mention the mega-munching browns...reduced the chubs to a point below the "tipping point". They disappeared over the next few years as predators ate the babies faster than the surviving big ones could spawn them. And then most of the big adults died off.

There are still chubs here and there in the system but not enough to support a super race of giant browns. Now the macks pattern mostly on kokes and baby bows. However, there have also been some baby burbot in their tummies. But unless the browns were taught to live on burbot they would have a tough time getting enough to eat to allow them to get huge.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]

Well ... there could be one that big in there.[/quote]

This ^^. That's why every single one of us continues to fish. It doesn't matter if we're fishing Paragonah Reservoir, Procupine, Yuba, Cleveland, Banana, or Enterprise Reservoir (lower). There's always a chance.

It's the unknown of fishing that keeps every one of us going back for more. It's much different than hunting, where cameras and months of scouting give you an idea of what animals are there long before you ever pursue them. Heck, with hunting now days you have names for the animals and you know what time they pee, what time they eat, how much they eat, and when they go take a nap. You know what you're going to kill long before you ever load your weapon.

fishining is different. We don't know what lurks below the surface, in those dark waters. We hope. We guess. We believe. The "big one" is lurking down there. And some day, we're going to catch it!

That's why we do it. That's why we keep going back for more -- the thrill of the unexpected.

Are there 38 lb brown's in the Gorge? In Panguitch Creek? In the Sevier River? I hope so! Let's go find out!
[signature]
Are brown trout stocked in Scofield?

There have been 20lb class tiger trout produced out of that lake... I think the next world record tiger trout will come from there too.

A brown there would grow fast on chubs initially and then start eating other trout more and more... and could put on some serious mass in a life-span. Because tiger trout are a hybrid with brookies I think they might max out weight wise at a lower weight than browns do. So if Scofield is producing 20-25lb tiger trout I don't see why it couldn't produce 30-35lb brown trout.... I don't think large numbers of them though like the Gorge had. In general I think the browns that get big in Utah do it on suckers and other trout rather than chubs... so fishing bigger lures might be the way to go.

One thing I'll say is that big brown trout will eat some very big meals... There are probably a lot more monster browns in Utah than people realize (15+lbs).... but how many people do you see throwing 8" streamers or 6+" jerkbaits at night when these huge fish feed? I know there are a handful of dedicated guys who target them but they are few and far between.
[signature]
Remember the 29 lb 3/4 oz. Brown that Don Brown caught below the dam in 96'….maybe.
[signature]