Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Trailers. License or Not?
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Dale,[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Since the question of proof has come up several times on this subject, I sent a request to the Utah DMV asking for guidance on this subject. I will post their answer if and when I get one.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That is exactly why the more obvious standard (Not the Law) came about One axle trailer no License.
Strictly visual and easy to enforce, even I can spot two axle trailers.
[signature]
And since the Willard Bay Parks manager told me the same thing, that is what I'm going by. They were not concerned about single axle boat trailer and said they had never issued a ticket to anyone with a single axle boat trailer. I think if anyone is really concerned about it, all they would need to do is what Kent did, take their boat off their trailer, then take the trailer down and have it weighed. As long as it is a certified scale and they will print out a paper saying how much it weights, there is your proof. Of course most newer boat trailers have a decal on the trailers saying how much they weigh.
[signature]
[/quote]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I personally pulled a legal, unlicensed trailer (in Utah) all the way to Texas and back and never got stopped or asked about it from any LEO. That leads me to believe that unlicensed trailers are not a high crime priority for most other state law enforcement organizations when the tow vehicle is licensed out of which ever sate you happen to be in at any given time.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/quote]

Several years ago I pulled a unlicensed boat trailer from Utah to Georgia and didn't get pulled over until about 10 miles from my destinationSmile At least you have the option to register the trailer in Utah. A while back I lived in Alabama. That state will not register a boat trailer period. However, they do have a reciprocity agreement with neighboring states. I can't find anything similar between Wyoming and Utah (and you are required to register a boat trailer in Wyoming).
[signature]
So after 41 posts it looks like you take your chances in other states but you should be ok in Utah. Maybe!
[signature]
[quote RBF]Several years ago I pulled a unlicensed boat trailer from Utah to Georgia and didn't get pulled over until about 10 miles from my destination.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]So what was the outcome? Did you get a ticket or did the officer send you on your way without one? Or did he have some advice to get it registered ASAP? Enquiring minds want to know. [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
FWIW...

I bought a new boat in 2013. It was a 21' Yamaha 212X. It has a dual axle Shorlandr trailer that weighs ~820lbs. unloaded. The dealership did all the registering and paperwork and I've never gotten any kind of registration reminder from the state for the trailer. Only the boat. I called the DMV in March and the lady said if it were her she wouldn't worry about the trailer until I got a ticket because I probably was legal. I get that could turn out to be some expensive advice, but I've been taking my chances since and probably will continue to do so. I haven't gone to Willard though (and maybe now I won't, at least in my boat).

I'd wish they'd just say anything over one axle needs registration regardless of weight, but that would be too easy to understand. [crazy]
[signature]