Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night fishing from a boat, northern utah.
thanks for all the info guys. well the day has come, me and my bros are hitting willard up tonight to give this night fishing a shot, we are gonna fish from about 8-midnight. I have some make shift lights(we will see if they work) Ill post tomorrow about how the trip went. And guess what else, almost no moon tonight.....go figure. Oh well that aint gonna stop me!
[signature]
Good luck and don't forget the bug spray and head nets.
[signature]
[quote SirSimba55]thanks for all the info guys. well the day has come, me and my bros are hitting willard up tonight to give this night fishing a shot, we are gonna fish from about 8-midnight. I have some make shift lights(we will see if they work) Ill post tomorrow about how the trip went. And guess what else, almost no moon tonight.....go figure. Oh well that aint gonna stop me![/quote]

The fish don't care what the moon is doing. One phase might be better or worse depending on the season / species. But the fish you want to catch at night feed at night regularly and don't care what is going on with the moon they are hungry and feed at night (catfish / walleye, etc)

I'd try trolling rippin raps or crackin raps.
[signature]
Here is the scoop... me and my brothers launched out of the north marina at 8:20 pm. we dropped three types of cranks and headed west. After about 20 mins we saw lightening and some storm clouds brewing. so we turned around and trolled back the the marina. No love from anything, when we got back to the marina we picked up myu other bro then went out to anchor up and try drowning worms it was dark by then and as soon as we got into place the winds kicked up again. Since it was dark and i was skiddish, i went back to the marina and anchored up. Bugs weren't that bad due to the breeze that kept coming and going. In the Marina we caught two cats, one little guy and an 18 incher. Lost a couple more before they were landed. The bite was definitely pretty slow. At about midnight we decided to leave the shelter of the marina since it seemed pretty calm, we anchored out at a couple spots in the cove outside the beach and I caught another 18 in kitty and a little tiny baby wiper (it was my first ever wiper though so i was pretty excited about it). Missed a couple more, the bite was definitely better outside the marina. Unfortunately within the first hour out there the wind kicked up again so we decided to call it quits. We left a little after 1 am. It definitely was a fun experience and one i want to try again in better conditions, ie. no stormy weather and clear skies so i have better lighting via the stars and the moon. It was definitely fun and well worth the trip!
[signature]
I'm glad you stuck it out and glad you shared the experience. I have lots of good memories of night fishing, mainly for cats. Hopefully next time you'll have better cooperation from the weather gods and some heavenly light.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Yes night fishing can be a little overwhelming at times but when you do it enough it becomes second nature.
[signature]