Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Courtesy
Just when you think you have seen it all, some dumbass makes you shake your head and say damn. Going out in public carrys inherent risks, if you have a low patience level maybe you should stay in private. Life is too short to be pissed all the time. 😀
[signature]
[quote k2muskie] I’ve drilled in the location I’m in and now they are soaking wet…not my fault little Billy or little Suzie fell in…playing star wars with gear like the ice rods were lazars or swords and parents yelling at them but they continue doing it, playing dodge fish similar to dodge ball but throwing fish at each other. Running on slick ice (no snow) falling and knocking teeth out and getting a nice gash/knot on their head and now they are screaming bloody murder. Yet again not my fault… Tripping on my ice stake I had securing my tent and almost hitting the blade of my auger I had next to my tent. Including having one young’n come over and picked up my auger and start banging it on the ice. If I’m in the location for several hours and then have company like that show up…well you can bet I’m going to say something to the parents and I have especially if little Billy or little Suzie help themselves to my gear without my permission. So if you find this type of stuff acceptable well you’re I’m pretty sure in the minority. Then for some reason the fishing shuts down and I wonder why with all the screaming and jumping up and down.
[/quote]
Man, where do you ice fish? I swear I will put it on my list of where to AVOID as that sounds like to much to me!!

My best move to not have to worry about all that stuff you listed is by going deep in the backcountry and ice fishing an isolated mountain lake. Its pretty much a kid free zone up there.
[signature]
RockyRaab- Best post of this very entertaining and thought provoking thread. That is a great idea.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Be of good cheer and heed not the rantings of the naysayers and pot stirrers. 'Tis the season of discontent, when anglers must adjust to the change between soft water and hard. The idle time in betwixt doth trouble their souls, and mighty is their ranting and rending of fellow anglers who post helpful things upon the Internet. For verily, their vision is clouded and they see not the good in those posts, but find only those things upon which they can pounce.

Peace...not pieces.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

This song I think sums it up pretty good...

http://youtu.be/KSfONJYIyGM
[signature]
Great thread. Personally I love dogs and kids so I have a pretty high tolerance for them. Sometimes I just have to accept a little collateral damage and laugh it off to enjoy them. I never ice fish with young children or dogs, but I see many other people who do, and I respect the fact that they are taking on a lot of extra work and responsibility to share their fishing experience with their family.

Some of these posts got a little heated, maybe I can give you guys a tip, not on fishing, but on reading forum posts. When I am reading a post that starts to sound a little aggressive or confrontational I switch the voice in which I am reading it to the voice of someone who is very sweet and loving, or maybe funny. For example: Imagine that a post you don't agree with is being read out loud in your head by Spongebob Squarepants instead of Clint Eastwood. Or imagine it is being read by Rose from the Golden Girls instead of Andrew Dice Clay. Or maybe use the voice of Big Bird instead of Hulk Hogan. It works for me.

I know the comments about dogs and children got the most attention here, but in my mind the most important points were about safety, especially motorized vehicles on the ice. I would hate to see somebody get hit or run over by a machine anywhere, but out on the ice could be especially bad because help might be a long time coming. Maybe we should consider wearing reflective clothing out on the ice like we use in construction, or carrying a good flashlight for times when the fog rolls in. And if you ride a machine on the ice, please slow down, especially around other people.
[signature]
Pat, HUH? and HUH?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Basically...go fishin' and quit bitchin'.

Good therapy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm sure the reason that this subject is sore is that it's very much a sliding scale.

If you set up in the tent city or where the tent city usually springs up, you should expect that there will be noise and that kids and animals may occasionally make it into your camp. In these kinds of groups you'll also see a feller I like to call "Extra Loud Guy" and often an "Extra Loud Girl". Extra Loud Guy is usually a classic case of joshing around with a girl to show that he likes her, Extra Loud Girl usually reciprocates. It's not too much to expect that kids, animals and other people will generally stay about 10 feet from your tent though. It's also unacceptable to touch other people's gear without their permission. You might get lines tangled under the ice, that's too bad, don't set up there if you don't like it. Sometimes that's fun if they're ok people.

I'm in the column of people who are going to go set up away from everyone else. If you have kids and a dog (both of which that you like to let run around with zero discipline) and you trek around the shore or across the lake to set up next to me, let's say less than 20 feet away, and your kids start using my camp as their camp or your dog comes and fights with my dog, you better be prepared for a discussion. Ultimately, if I have to move, you'll probably get an interesting scientific lesson on how fish like it when you set a speaker face down in the snow and crank up some Metallica.

Simplified version: If you like a big group, set up next to a big group or in the group area. If you don't like a big group, set up on a good place elsewhere. If you don't know what you're doing and expect to go set up next to some loner because you think he knows what he's doing, you're going to have a bad time.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Basically...go fishin' and quit bitchin'.

Good therapy.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Yep[sly]
[signature]
Sounds good, I hope everyone has a great season on the hard deck. Too much hate in the world already and getting worse day by day. [:/]
[signature]