Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Courtesy
[quote FLY_BOY]
Quote:

If you take children please watch them for safety reasons and please don't allow them to run all over the place yelling and screaming. You may think it’s okay but again others are out enjoying and don’t appreciate children running around and carrying on like they are on the elementary school playground. Unruly kids are usually a reflection of irresponsible parents
Quote:.

While I agree with most of what you said this statement is just out of line. People take their kids out for fun and said kids will make noise and run around while having fun and if you don't like that YOU are in the wrong place and might want to take up reading in the local library or something.[/quote]

actually if you show up and can't control your kids than you are in the wrong place. Now if someone see's all of your kids out on the ice running around wildly and they setup next to you and then complain about your kids, than it's their problem and mistake for setting up next to the chaos. But if I am out there and someone posts up right next to me with screaming kids, than that parent is the problem.
[signature]
[quote FLY_BOY]Unruly kids are usually a reflection of irresponsible parents [/quote]
After nine kids . . . K2 is pretty spot on IMO. Perhaps I would broaden the statement to say irresponsible/incapable/ignorant parents, as there are all types, but in short, whatever the root cause, they are still irresponsible. Most (not all, but the vast majority) out of control kids are due to inconsistent and incorrect parental behaviors. The problem is the parents, not the kid. Not watching a young one well enough on the ice that they fall in a hole, or trip over other people's equipment is just . . . well . . . irresponsible. And parents most certainly have a duty to help instill empathy and decent public behavior.
[signature]
"When approaching an ice tent or shelter...give out a friendly 'hello' to notify the occupant of your presence."

Why?
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[signature]
We are usually early on the ice.
What bothers me is that as soon as the herd starts to show up a lot of the time they come out and set up camp about 100' away. Soon after more show up encroaching even closer and we now have a city building and the fish have been boo'ed off.

I don't know if we are all sheep and like the flock or if there are a lot of people who are not confident in being able to tell if it is safe ice or ?.

I have resolved this is not going to change so we wait till about 2 other groups show up the catching slows and then we move.

The late comers tend to group with the larger group that we have left and don't seem to move to us.
[signature]
I figured this was about to go South before long[:/]
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]"When approaching an ice tent or shelter...give out a friendly 'hello' to notify the occupant of your presence."

Why?
[font "Times New Roman"][/font][/quote]

Maybe so I don't burst out armed and Angry with a snarling dog? I wholeheartedly agree with this one, and I can't be the only person who doesn't trust everyone, especially someone walking quietly up to my gear while out of sight.
[signature]
[quote Jedidiah][quote remo_5_0]"When approaching an ice tent or shelter...give out a friendly 'hello' to notify the occupant of your presence."

Why?
[font "Times New Roman"][/font][/quote]

Maybe so I don't burst out armed and Angry with a snarling dog? I wholeheartedly agree with this one, and I can't be the only person who doesn't trust everyone, especially someone walking quietly up to my gear while out of sight.[/quote]

So, every ice tent I walk by while heading out to fish I should give a shout out.....whatever.

And you "burst out armed and Angry" at people who walk by your tent without notifying you while they are engaged in a legal activity of ice fishing? [:/]
[signature]
A more honest answer is because I'm staring at a sonar and I'm zoned out. If someone just walks up to the tent it scares the Bujeebus out of me. Last year someone just unzipped my tent to ask if they could use something, I kicked my aqua by micro in the hole and barely saved it.

That lack of being polite and lack of common sense almost cost me $500. Is that good reason enough. If you passing by closer than 50' I think you should give a hello.
[signature]
The truly courteous thing is to not walk right near a tent. If you're passing, give them a wide berth.

If you intend to go up to the tent for whatever reason, then by all means announce your presence. Unzipping a tent unannounced just MIGHT get you shot or punched.
[signature]
Statistically, a worry more about the snowmobiles and ATV's.
[signature]
You never know whats going on in an ice tent.

As far as kids go I use mine to keep everyone else away. I figure people go up to get away from the madness, so I drill holes in a circle around my tent and stick my kids at each hole to kind of create a perimeter. with the kids walking back and forth and yelling to me that they need a treat, snack, that they have a fish or the never ending sibling bickering will keep a lot of people away. I just sit in the middle and enjow the space.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]The truly courteous thing is to not walk right near a tent. If you're passing, give them a wide berth.

If you intend to go up to the tent for whatever reason, then by all means announce your presence. Unzipping a tent unannounced just MIGHT get you shot or punched.[/quote]

I guess if I actually was approaching a tent, i.e going to ask someone something (not sure why I would though), then I would give a shout out, maybe the post should have been clarified. On what approaching means.
[signature]
Good post. I agree with it completely. I always give a wide berth to other tents when walking by. I can't wait to get out on the ice!!

I haven't taken my daughter out yet for those very reasons. She is about to turn 4 this weekend and I am afraid for her safety and if she wants to run and get crazy.

Anyways thanks for the post. Hopefully it will atleast educate one person.
[signature]
I agree with all of these points!
especially the snowmobiles and ATV's, and crowding
I have had negative experiences of almost getting hit by an idiot on a machine and after catching a trophy fish for me other people drilling holes within 2 ft of me
I appreciate you taking the time and making this post
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]
So, every ice tent I walk by while heading out to fish I should give a shout out.....whatever.

And you "burst out armed and Angry" at people who walk by your tent without notifying you while they are engaged in a legal activity of ice fishing? [:/][/quote]

Right, when I saw your post I'm thinking of "approach" as in, you're 5 feet away in the silent powder without a word. In that case I probably wouldn't have much of a choice as to how bad that interaction would go because if someone got that close without any warning my dog would pretty much lose her mind. Maybe I'm exceptionally paranoid about people in general but I don't feel like I'm at the far end of the spectrum for the people you'd meet as a hunter/fisherman.
[signature]
[quote wel-don_fishing]
I have had negative experiences of almost getting hit by an idiot on a machine and after catching a trophy fish for me other people drilling holes within 2 ft of me
I appreciate you taking the time and making this post[/quote]

Oh man you haven't lived until you have the privilege of someone walking up and fishing right next to you in a hole you just punched for your second rod. Yep. True story. Couldn't believe it. I just stared at the dude for a while. He didn't catch anything and gave up. The holes were maybe 18 inches apart. Sure if you are my friend, relative, or kid, come sit right next to me. If you are a stranger...come on.
[signature]
Wow! you are correct I have not lived yet [Wink]
That would bug the crap out of me
[signature]
Hey that is a fish story so it ought to be 5 people crossed the pressure ridge and fell in and all 5 fell in again when they left. Much better story. Your memory is fine.
[signature]
Being at older age I tend to be called by mother nature more often than others. It is my intention to fish on the lake away from crowds. But how come every female fisherperson and their kids seem to show up right beside me on the ice? Sure crimps my style! After all there is plenty of unused lake to fish!
[signature]
so legally speaking, will the fish cops issue a citation for peeing on the ice?
[signature]