Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah lake Pike problem
When the UDWR planted them, they were most likely fingerling. The ones that the bucket heads are bringing in are probably more like 12 to 14 inches. If one or two of the fingerling survived they might not be able to find each other in that big old lake. If someone brought a few dozen hammer handles and they stayed in the same area, they might have a better shot at spawning.

Might have been a lot of reasons that the original plant didn't take. Maybe the water level dropped at just the wrong time. Maybe they spawned once and all of the fry got eaten by the White Bass and Walleye.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
let me specify "It is one of the fish I want to catch on my LIST OF THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE" sorry for using the 'B' word. [bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink]
[signature]
I'll go double check tonight, but in my notes from our old Utah fisheries forum days, I believe that the northern pike plants dated from the 1950's.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Man, that would make any survivors really old.

If you have that kind of info, you might also want to see if you can verify that DWR even experimented with planting chinook salmon in those days. Heerd tell of that one also. But don't know anybody who has ever claimed to have caught any.

Too bad the carp didn't "take".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hit up Yuba it is not that much further then UL. We usually fish the Oasis side when I have fished it. Watch for big swirls I had one following the bet and short strike it. then he made a hard turn so I just put it back in front of him again and he hit it like a freight train. Nothing big like 18-24 inches but they are fun to catch. There are guys on here that have it down to a science and will be able to help you get on them way better then I can.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Man, that would make any survivors really old.

If you have that kind of info, you might also want to see if you can verify that DWR even experimented with planting chinook salmon in those days. Heerd tell of that one also. But don't know anybody who has ever claimed to have caught any.

Too bad the carp didn't "take".
[/#0000FF][/quote]

I don't remember Chinooks, but they did say that they tried Arctic Grayling and some other oddities way "back in the day".

As for the old pike, the thinking was that they were able to persist at some very low level through the decades although they never really took off. Even now, in addition to the likelihood of bucket biology, it is interesting that the pike showed up en masse around 2011, when spawning habitat was optimal from the flooding and several other species exploded as well, such as bluegill, crappie, large mouth bass, and the catfish species. I'm not sure we will ever be 100% sure.

I came across that fisheries forum folder the other day and will post up any pertinent stuff that I find.
[signature]
Dang, my pot-stirring spoon just dried out from the last thread. Oh well, here goes.

LOAH posted about pike he caught in Hobble Creek on UWN and his blog on 3/1/15. There's a picture on the blog but man, that's a pathetic looking little pike.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You know where you can put your pot-stirring spoon.

Loah also posted of his "pike-ette" on BFT. I know of a couple of folks who ran down to see if they could score a couple. Easy to see them in the thin clear water but hard to catch them without spooking them.

I also know that DWR showed up with some nets, to try to capture a few. Didn't hear how that turned out.

Since the June suckers have started using the improved habitat on the lower end of Hobble Creek I am guessing that the word is out among all the sucker-munching predators. There has been June sucker spawning observed in the area but I'm betting that there aren't many newly hatched Junies that make it out as far as the open lake.

DWR captures adult spawning June suckers in the Provo River, spawns them and rears the young to several inches before releasing them into the lower river or out into the lake. For the next few days almost every walleye caught within swimming distance has a belly distended with several baby Junies. Pretty high attrition rate. Maybe we should have a walleye eradication program. NOT.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm not a pike fisherman by any means and I'm not at Utah Lake very much. That being said, many of my lunch breaks are spent just up from the lake on Provo River, hooking carp and hoping for walleye.

Last year, I caught 2 pike from the river, within a week of each other. Haven't hit another one since, but may have seen one.

I caught a few pike from Hobble Creek last year as well, right where it spills from the culvert under the freeway. There are quite a few in there.

A couple of weeks ago, I dropped in for another visit and popped two in two casts. Those were donated to the DWR in Sprinkleville. Last week, I had my jig stolen by a bigger one (probably 24" or more) and watched a smaller one zip by me. There are a lot more in that stretch of Hobble than people think.

The DWR is still giving out swag bags for any pike turned in, while supplies last.

All of my pike were caught on a Gulp minnow on a 1/16oz jig head, minus one that took a sand tube.

(I've seen a pretty good one of around 30" last year in a little stream along the south side of the East Bay golf course.)
[signature]
the pike in yuba were non existent tell the lake was draind and all the carp were washed down stream.. then the pike exploded,,, [crazy] huh the carp are being removed from UL and now pike are showing up????? [crazy] might be something to that????
[signature]
Ok, here is what I have from that presentation. These were the listed dates of non-native fish introductions.

1871- Black bullhead.
1879-carp
1890-Largemouth bass, bluegills, green sunfish, yellow perch, crappie
1911-Channel catfish
1912-smallmouth bass
Early 1900's-Arctic grayling, lake trout, eels, chinook salmon, others (You were right TD)
1950's-walleye, Northern pike
1956- white bass

They did not say that there were Northern pike plants in the 1970's.
[signature]