Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Burbot
Opens at sunrise, and the bites over by 9am.
[signature]
As I was pulling the boat out at firehole yesterday evening, a guide was launching and waiting for clients to show up. He indicated he's catching as many burbs as ever. No decline, except it's a little slower as of late with the bright moon. Takes a couple hours more to hit the 100 mark. But can consistently catch 100 each trip. According to him, there is no decline.
[signature]
Can burbots be caught at Sheep creek? Will there be good ice there to fish for them .
[signature]
Burbot occur throughout the reservoir. So they could be caught at Sheep Creek. As far as ice conditions, most years there isn't "good" ice until later in the ice season in Sheep Creek bay. With the current weather pattern, I'm thinking we may not see much ice towards the southern end of the lake this year. Burbot population studies done by Wyoming Game and Fish and UDWR show their numbers tend to be higher towards northern parts of the reservoir.
[signature]
Who was the guide? [fishin]
[signature]
I didn't ask. Wasn't Ashley.
[signature]
My father broke his ankle, so I didn't get up there for my second trip.[Sad][fishon]
Fishing was slow this weekend. One must chase the ice to the south, because Firehole is turning into swiss cheese.
[signature]
I'll likely fish Sheep Creek this weekend. Will I find ice fishing ice?
[signature]
There's ice in the very back of Sheep Creek, but not sure if it's fishable.
[signature]
[quote Ryno]There's ice in the very back of Sheep Creek, but not sure if it's fishable.[/quote]

This surprises me. It seems early to be thinking of fishable ice in Sheep Creek.

Ryno, do you have an update on northern ice? Is there ice near the confluence yet?
[signature]
Both arms look like they are froze but the confluence and south looks like open water.

We fished about half way down the Green River arm on 4-5 inches of ice and had ok success on the burbot catching 20 in a few hours of fishing Monday night.

Temps at night were pushing towards single digits so hopefully the ice will for quick.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks for the update.
[signature]
To add onto abownut, there's ice down just past the Cofluence, road 11. It was about 4-inches today with some significant pressure ridges. I'll feel a lot better about it after the low-highs forecasted this weekend!
[signature]